Sunday, January 21, 2007

My monologue

"I don't know why I can't dance. But it's--I can't. I can't make my body move in these ways that the music is demanding that I move. It's just so goddamn embarrassing. The situation. I mean, standing in public around hundreds of people who are displaying their purest, truest selves. I mean, it takes them no more than two drinks and their souls are out there on the dance floor. Their goodness. Their sensuality. They're sharing and loving. I watch that, look at that. But my body fights it. I start to analyze the music. The rhythm. The time signature. I understand the theory of dancing. The idea of spontaneously sharing in this moment that exists now and only now. The give and take with your partner. Two mirrors on a land where gravity holds you to this point and then leaves you free. And that the universe happens right there and then. Like truth, I understand this intellectually. But... I never have experienced it. I can't dance."

-- from "The Man Who Couldn't Dance," by Jason Katims

8 comments:

baddie said...

Homagawd! Me too! LOLZ

bingskee said...

i stopped dancing ages ago. it made me think now how i miss it.

this post reminded me of that episode of the grim adventures of billy and mandy (cartoon network). but unlike you, they love to dance, and are great men dancers.

annamanila said...

Read Daisies at 90, agreed she was/is a rare flower (watched Portrait a long time ago and loved her in it), saw ur website in the end note, and here i am. Nice job you got, gibbs! So happy for you. Not everyone has a job that pays and delights ... one more than the other i suppose. LOL

Have begun a blog too -- wanting to talk with golden and goldening women (and men if they choose) like me. But tell me, are they online? Do they have the wherewithal to go online?! Or am I talking to myself or to the thin air.

See you again soon. Ta

fruityoaty said...

I can't dance at all... I don't feel comfortable doing it. I just flail around, looking like I'm having a huge heart seizure. It's pretty sad, actually. Of course, pride never stopped me from dancing, hehe.

gibbs cadiz said...

hi BADDIE, BINGSKEE, FRUITYOATY, thanks for your comments! so we're all non-dancers huh. :) the monologue actually uses dance as a metaphor for love, intimacy, relationships. aha! now discuss! :)

hi ANNAMANILA, thanks for reading the piece and dropping by here. lucky you to have seen ms. avellana in 'portrait!' :) and oh, blog away! build it and they will come. :)

Anonymous said...

aha! metaphor for love, intimacy, relationships? Baka naman all you need is love, intimacy, relationship for you to learn to dance? Higit na isang dosenang taon na kitang kilala di pa kita natatandaang sumayaw! Ahuy!!! Hanapan nyu nga itong si gebs.

-Allan

annamanila said...

There is this 15-minute film called Pirouette. Won some awards in UP and CCP. It juxtaposes dance and story of woman unfulfilled, husband-dominated. For far too long, only in dreamt dance sequences does woman take control of her life. In the end, woman leaves marriage. Dance becomes reality. (Can't dance neither except in dreams. But then, I fly in dreams too.)

gibbs cadiz said...

ALLAN, ah... eh... :)

hi ANNA, yep, in dreams i dance absolutely unafraid too. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...