Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Free tickets to Virgin Labfest

The practice of journalism in the Philippines will never make you rich--unless you're corrupt. I prefer to be poor. Once upon a time I knew what it meant to earn more than enough for myself; I was an HR manager at 26, and in the corporate world you tend to be compensated much better. But I'm not complaining that I gave that up. The pay cut I took was inversely proportional to the sense of fulfillment I gained when I followed my heart and shifted to writing.

So being in media doesn't pay that much, but it does have its perks. I get to travel every now and then, I meet so many interesting people (Piolo Pascual in an interview just this afternoon, would you believe?), I learn new things every day, and because I cover theater and the arts, I get invited to watch movies, plays and musicals. Which is a thrill, and not a job at all because I like films and theater, anyway.

What a long-winded intro, but hang on...

Theater companies usually offer us free tickets to watch their shows--two tickets at the most. Beyond that, I consider it an obligation to offer to pay, since theater in the Philippines hardly makes any money as it is, and what more if they have to deal with freeloaders. Yep, I have no problem paying for my own tickets, much as I did for many years before I earned the right to my own Press ID.

For the Virgin Labfest, I was offered the usual free pass to all the shows. But I had a different arrangement in mind. I told them I'd pay for the P200 tickets to each of the shows--but could they give the free ticket instead to interested bloggers through this site? They said yes.

That's right. I have free tickets to the Virgin Labfest--one for each of the six trilogies in the festival. Anyone who's interested can reserve a ticket by e-mailing me at gibbs_c@yahoo.com.

There are only two conditions: 1) You'd have to be an active blogger; and 2) You'd have to blog afterwards about the plays you've seen. I don't mean that you should write a review, though you're certainly free to do that if you feel up to it. You can leave the professional kibitzing to me. Write, instead, about your experience of theater-going, about what you saw and how you felt--the way Dine and AnnaManila did after they got to watch the musical "Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah."

No minimum or maximum length of post, and no editorial slant from me, either. If you end up not liking the plays, you're free to say so. It's entirely your call. My only selfish reason for this condition is, I want to see more bloggers write about Philippine theater. The more people who comment about theater in their blogs, the better! And if this goes well, I'll try to wangle similar arrangements for all the other plays I get invited to.

Oh, there's a third condition: You can't choose your own schedule. You'd have to join me in watching a particular trilogy, since they're issuing the free tickets to me. The upside of that is, we might hit it off and become friends. The downside? You might find me a boring, even odd, companion since I'll be in my own zone during the length of the play, terribly focused on what's going on and scribbling notes in my little notepad every now and then (call of duty). We can resume getting to know each other after curtain call.

But you can take your chances. I certainly welcome new company. Here are my preferred show dates; let me know which trilogy you'd like to watch, and if you make the first reservation via e-mail (include your full name and contact number, please), well then, see you at the Virgin Labfest!

June 28, Thursday, 8 p.m. INTERNATIONAL NIGHT is a compilation of plays submitted by foreign playwrights: "He-Me-She-It" (by Narumol Thammapruksa, directed by Jaime del Mundo), "Lizard" (Haresh Sharma, directed by Nicolas Pichay), "Three Sisters (a Noh play by Yoji Sakate, directed by Jose Estrella)

June 29, Friday, 8 p.m. MADADRAMANG PAMILYA--Household drama but not telenovela fare: "Teroristang Labandera" (Debbie Ann Tan, directed by Yoshi Toshihisa), "Bagahe" (Dennis Teodosio, directed by Rito Asilo), "Looking for Darna" (Lani Montreal, directed by Khryss Adalia)

June 30, Saturday, 3 p.m. CHILDREN’S PLAYS: "Bertdey ni Guido" (Rene Villanueva’s Bertdey ni Guido, performed by the Dulaang Sipat Lawin Ensemble and directed by George de Jesus III), "Mga Obra ni Maestra" (Niel De Mesa), "Kung Pwede Sanang Ipagpalit ang Tatay" (James Cansanay, directed by Catherine Racsag)

June 30, Saturday, 8 p.m. XX AND X promises to be the most unsettling and disturbing compilation of the season. "Séance" (Auggie Arcenas, directed by EricK Castro), "Kasaysayan" (Allan Lopez, directed by Victor Villareal), "My Padir is an OCW" (George Vail Kabristante)

July 7, Saturday, 3 p.m. ANG PAGDADALAGA AT IBA PANG REBELASYON provides another take on forbidden loves, sexual desire and the fruits it reaps, both good and evil: "Kuyom" (Argel Tuason, directed by John Abul), "Three Unsent Letters" (Arlo De Guzman, directed by Nor Domingo), "Ellas Inosentes" (Layeta Bucoy, directed by Tuxqs Rutaquio)

July 8, Sunday, 3 p.m. IDENTITY AND POLITICS: "May Bumubulong" (Job Pagsibigan, directed by Christian Bautista), "Pobreng Alindahaw" (Dennis Teodosio, directed by Delfin Ilao), "Sa Pagdating ng Barbaro" (Rogelio Braga, directed by Nick Olanka)

PLUS: Playwright Alvin Dacanay "unmasks" the featured dramatists in this year's Labfest here.

22 comments:

joelmcvie said...

Wow Gibbs! Bagong raket ito, ha. Blind dates and EBs in the service of Philippine theater. Putcha, it really does have its perks, hahaha.

Guys, if you're going to avail of the tickets because you really are interested in watching the plays, then trust me, Gibbs is definitely not a boring companion. Odd, possibly. But you wanna discuss the play and theater in general? Make sure you've time for several cups of coffee after the play.

But if you're going to avail of the tickets to see Gibbs more than the play(s), well then! Gibb's caveat applies.

sasha said...

I am thinking of leaving the corporate world na rin, Gibbs. Planning actually. No contentment for me there.

I would love to see the ANG PAGDADALAGA AT IBA PANG REBELASYON. Will email you about this :)

sugahmamma said...

Oh, you mean PIOLA Pascual!? or Piolita?

Karla said...

I love your advocacy, Gibbs! Parang blind date ito--it allows you to meet new people too (and know what the younger set does when they're away from their online games or blogs--I'm starting to have an idea of how my son will be like 15 years from now).

Gusto kitang bigyan ng award! :D

Gibbs is such a fun companion--don't worry. You won't run out of things to talk about (and laugh at). Thanks again for Sunday's show. I promise to blog about it--soon. Let me just get over my deadlines. LOL.

mitsuru said...

padi,

tawan mo daw ako ki 2 tickets?

gibbs cadiz said...

hehe, McVIE, the caveat applies talaga?! :)

ey SASHA, waiting for your e-mail. tapos when we meet, kwentuhan mo ako about your boring corporate job, haha. :)

ey SUGAHMAMMA, that's not nice, sorry. doesn't add anything to what we can talk about sensibly here. :)

hello KARLA! haha, sige nga, are you gonna blog about the musical or the more titillating stuff we talked about afterwards? naku, mai-link nga yung blogger na yun. joke! :)

MITS! nata, padi, anion ka sa manila? if yes, dai ka lamang nagtataram! digdi na, iiba ta ka sa labfest. :)

SexyMom said...

theater surely needs a boost, and blogger friends can be instruments to this.

and no, gibbs is not a boring person to be with, he was ever graceful to his 2 titas (me and annamanila) that evening at Zsazsa Zaturnnah.

Annamanila said...

Can we take a second helping?Joke.

What's the best one kaya Gibbs? Will see if I could go with a daughter, paying our way naman this time.

Here's to theatre and blogging about it.

Keitaro Hanazawa said...

Hello po, I think I want to watch IDENTITY AND POLITICS! I'll email you at hopefully makahabol ako.

By the way, thank you for sharing the tickets kahit di man ako ang mapili. It's such a noble act! This just proves na isa po kayong tunay na alagad ng sining!

Q The Conqueror said...

uy, i want! where will the plays be held? Baka kasi mahihirapan ako umuwi if its too far. :D

gibbs cadiz said...

hi DINE, haha, salamat! i see you've got a hater in your site as well. welcome to the club! :)

hey ANNA, hope you and dine can watch "Hubad," am sure you'd find it a blast. let's go! :)

hello KEITARO! got your email, since identity & politics is taken, see you sa children's plays. :)

hi Q! the free tickets have all been claimed, but do try to watch the shows pa din, P200 lang naman ang tickets. they're all at the ccp. :)

Roy said...

gusto ko itong gimmick. exciting and intriguing to the max. i wish i were there to marvel at these 'plays' and 'dates'. hoy, me na-research ka na tungkol ka ramon 'chito' jao? dios mabalos tabi.

aryo said...

grabe, kailangan ko ng makipag-agawan ngayon for free tickets. fully depreciated na talaga ang aking value. boring kasi akong seatmate, he he. well, ganun talaga. iba na pag sikat na. :-)

Gypsy said...

WaaaHHHH!! I want! I want! But alas! I am going home to Davao on said dates...hopefully there'll be a next time. I would love to go to the theater with someone who has seen Piolo Pascual up close *sigh* ;)

MANDAYA MOORE: Ang bayot sa bukid said...

sayang! sana may kasama ring plane tickets para makapanood ako. kahit ako na magbayad sa tickets sa shows. hehehe

Q The Conqueror said...

Aww... all taken na. Well, there's always a next time. Di ako nakamail kagad because I wasn't sure sa place. I'm sure to go to cinemanila though. hahahah.

gibbs cadiz said...

hi FR. ROY, wara pa tabi, sorry! but ralph pena, artistic director of ma-yi, is coming home this july, i'll make sure to ask him about chito. ciao! :)

atty. ARYO, at baket ka naman makikipag-agawan for tickets e P200 each lang naman, yakang yaka mo? :)

hi GYPSY! haha, next time, lemme know if you're in manila, time for me to bring you to the theater. and check back in a couple of days, i'll have the photos of piolo ready. :)

haha, nice proposal, MANDAYA! :)

Q, san ka nakatira? wait, lemme email you back. :)

Gypsy said...

Thanks, Gibbs! Promise yan ha, when I get back. :) Photos of Piolo?? BUT I WANT THE REAL THING!! WAAAH (ulit)! ;)

Poytee said...

Wow. I'm emailing you now. Hehe. :D

jengkie said...

hi! i just recently stumbled upon your blog... I'm glad I did! I love reading your reviews.

great idea to share your tickets! :) sayang ubos na. i hope i can still grab some tickets for hubad. i would love to watch irma and nonie's performance!

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting... Been meaning to see the virgin labfest but I'm out of town so I guess I'll see it next weekend.

Who were the lucky bloggers :P Would love to read what they have to say about the shows too.

- A.M. Gonzaga

gibbs cadiz said...

hi GYPSY, haha, we both want the real thing! :)

hi POYTEE, got your email. see ya next weekend. :)

hi JENGKIE! thanks for dropping by. hope you make it a habit, hehe. tickets to 'hubad/palanca' are still available. gogogo! :)

hello A.M. GONZAGA, glad you can still catch the last weekend of the labfest. re the lucky bloggers, i'll be linking to their entries on the plays they've watched, so we'll get to know them din. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...