Saturday, June 16, 2007

More life

"Bless me anyway.

"I want more life. I can't help myself. I do.

"I've lived through such terrible times, and there are people who live through much much worse, but... You see them living anyway.

"When they're more spirit than body, more sores than skin, when they're burned and in agony, when flies lay eggs in the corners of the eyes of their children, they live. Death usually has to take life away. I don't know if that's just the animal. I don't know if it's not braver to die. But I recognize the habit. The addiction to being alive. We live past hope. If I can find hope anywhere, that's it, that's the best I can do. It's so much not enough, so inadequate but... Bless me anyway. I want more life."

-- From "Angels in America II: Perestroika," by Tony Kushner


Jap said...

hi gibbs! I love Angels in America! I've only seen the movie version but it swept me away nonetheless.

My favorite line was when Harper and Prior first met in the dream world and Harper says:

"Deep inside you, there's a part of you, the most inner part, entirely free of disease. I can see that," she says.

It made me cry right then and there. I don't have a disease but even in our modern times I can't help but encounter people who think gays are psychos or that homosexuality is a disease.

That line assured me that I am still a human being worth loving because for whatever it is I lack, I make up for a loving heart.

Haaay. wish I had my dvds here with me so I can watch it again.

take care now =)

annamanila said...

In our hearts of hearts, we are intact, perfect, shining -- regardless demographics, labels, and yes sickness and infirmities. Ganda ng quotation ... reminds me of Job who continued to have faith despite indescribable trials.

EdiTrixiaGomez said...

"The price of rootlessness: motion sickness. The solution: keep moving." Hi, Gibbs.

gibbs cadiz said...

hi JAP, you would have made a perfect companion when i watched the full seven-hour angels in america here in manila some years ago. part 1 was at 3pm, part 2 at 8pm, at the music museum. looong, but not for one second did i feel bored with it. the language was so electric, the truth of it all so cutting. the movie's also great (who could go wrong with streep, pacino, emma thompson) but hearing those lines live, and living the experience with actors who are going through the same gruelling hours with you, is something altogether unique. pag uwi mo dito, lemme know, let's go to a play or musical together. :)

hi ANNA, amen to that! :)

hi EDITRIXIAGOMEZ! hmmm, bago ba yang pic mo? :)

Jap said...

naku Gibbs, I will never forget this, sisingilin talaga kita pagbalik ko! hahaha thanks for the idea, excited tuloy ako =)

gibbs cadiz said...

hey JAP! no problem. let's hope lang me magandang show when you come home, para di naman ako mapahiya sa'yo, haha. just holler when you're back. :)

EdiTrixiaGomez said...

old pic from jan 2006, pearl of the pacific boracay. i saw angels also in music museum! with monique as harper. i still say there's nothing like monique and bobby working together. haaay.

gibbs cadiz said...

sinabi mo, EDITRIXIAGOMEZ. i'll let them know their tandem still has fans after all these years. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web