Monday, July 16, 2007

Beware of this creep

This guy is a creep. In the last 24 hours, he has tried to post five messages in my Friendster account in the name of Tony Mabesa, the founding artistic director of Dulaang UP. The guy has created a fraudulent Friendster account bearing the picture of Mr. Mabesa, but the contents are in fact designed to slander the name of its supposed owner.

Under ordinary circumstances I'd have let pranks like this pass, but the severity and sordidness of what's written in the Friendster account, plus the fact that the guy has tried to link me to his shameful act by posting comments in my own account, compels me to issue this warning. Obviously, the site was created by someone with a huge axe to grind against Mr. Mabesa. The five testimonials posted so far on the account are all written in Mr. Mabesa's name, but no one would ever believe he could write such rubbish. Certainly not I.

Red flags bloomed in my head the moment I received an e-mail message saying I had a Friendster message from Mr. Mabesa. Now why would somebody like him bother to create a Friendster account? I checked the message, and it sounded even more dubious. After praising me for my "passion for theater and the arts" (in mangled English at that), it thanked me for my supposedly good review of his "Hamlet Redux."

I did not write a review of "Hamlet Redux." I wrote an advance feature about it some two weeks before the play opened. Contributor Walter Ang then came up with a review of it for the Inquirer. Anyone with half a bird's brain would know the difference between a feature story and a review. This "Tony Mabesa" on Friendster didn't. That only made me more doubtful.

A check of the other messages he tried to post on individual pictures in my account confirmed that I was dealing with a dirty loser. The posts were brimming with sycophantic praise and sexual innuendo. I deleted all the messages pronto. But you can see the general tenor and bile of his messages in the entries posted on the sham Friendster account, which slime not only Mr. Mabesa but also two well-regarded names in local theater, Jeremy Domingo and Liesl Batucan.

I feel very bad for all of them, but especially for Ms. Batucan, who is one of the nicest, most talented and hardworking persons I've had the pleasure of meeting in the industry. These people are not my friends--I've met them only in the course of my work covering theater--but I'm taking up the cudgels for them simply because what this guy has done to them (and tried to do to me) is a total outrage.

Whoever you are that's doing this, you should know that all it would take nowadays is a computer guy with middling abilities to track down your IP address and find out where you're located. This is not a threat, just a statement of fact. You leave a trail whenever you're online. I suggest you think again before you continue with what you're doing. If you have a problem with Mr. Mabesa--or Mr. Domingo and Ms. Batucan--be man or woman enough to identify yourself and take it up with them face-to-face. Not only is your bogus Friendster account a sign of cowardice, it is an indication of a mind seriously unhinged.

What could have pushed you to do this sleazy act? Let me guess: You're a frustrated theater guy--your posts seem to indicate you know a bit about the workings of Dulaang UP--and Mr. Mabesa must have chewed you up one time over some infraction. Now you're feeling all sorry for yourself, and in revenge you try to tar him with this vicious, low attack. Two words for you: Grow up. Better yet, seek treatment. Getting back at someone in this manner is not normal. And using people without their knowledge to do the dirty job for you is near-criminal.

This is not my first time to be victimized by online troglodytes. Some months ago someone tried posting a derogatory comment in ManilaGayGuy using my name. I didn't know about it until Migs, the site owner, forwarded me the message. Good thing he moderates the comments in his blog; he couldn't believe I wrote the entry, so he checked with me first.

I don't even moderate comments in this site. I like hearing feedback from my readers, and I like sharing my opinions with them, too. The price of such unrestricted openness, I suppose, is that from time to time you do get the useless trolls cluttering up your space. Now it's my Friendster account under some sort of siege, and whoever's doing it has the gall to cover his cretinous ass with the good name of Mr. Mabesa.

Sick.

16 comments:

rody Vera said...

Hi gibbs. got two messages from this same person posing as tony. s/he was badmouthing the virgin labfest. i texted jose estrella to verify if it could really be mabesa himself and she said it's impossible, because-- accordiing to her-- tony hardly knows how to use a computer, much less even know what friendster really is. disgusting, because for all his/her convoluted rantings, s/he must have picked up some words that tony himself does use sometimes. he seems to be approximating tony's diction. now there's a playwriting skill. nakupo!

snglguy said...

Ah, the price of fame. Ever wonder where these cretins come from?

Anonymous said...

Hi gibbs!
He also viewed me but never got the chance to post a comment kasi nakablock ang account ko. but i have some friends s/he posted a comment or two especially pics ng mga close kay Prof. Mabesa. And I tell you, its not good... I can't even text Sir Tony about it...

Is there a way that we could terminate that account?

Thanks!

tuxqs

cant_u_read said...

yeah, that's really sick.

tuxqs, the account is suspended already.

it's quite disturbing actually that somebody would go and do that to spite other people. such a shame!

SexyMom said...

oh, Gibbs--what does that creep want to prove? what does he want to destroy? good names cannot be destroyed, does creep know that? but at any rate, it is disturbing! just keep your cool, dear.

Allen said...

People who resort to posing as somebody else anonymously are cowards. Good thing the account was suspended. ^_^

Mapangurirat said...

i am glad i found this website while browsing through youtube (im a huge rama at sita fan). I have been doing research on people posing as other people on the web (especially yahoo group and friendster). This is, however, the first time i encountered someone posing as the great Tony Mabesa. I assume you reported it to friendster? I hope so. I'll mention it in my blogs and podcasts. thanks.

Keitaro Hanazawa said...

Nakakatakot naman siya. Kung sino man siya, dapat sa kanya sinasabit sa billboard sa EDSA. Or, bunutin ang ngipin at isabit sa Ortigas flyover.

sasha said...

Some people are really sick and would become obsess with someone it's scary at times! Blocked na ang account nya. Guess, someone flagged his account. Thannk God for flagging :)

Anonymous said...

if any techie can help me track this scum, maybe we can get the NBI to file criminal charges against him/her. Do you want to make this a bonding project?

Annamanila said...

It's so easy to do these misrepresentation and scams online ano. I wonder when we will have online police and online venues for seeking redress.

You have also experienced being misrepresented? Sikat lang yata ang victims ah. Misrepresentation, not only imitation, is high up there pala is a high form of flattery.

gibbs cadiz said...

hi FRIENDS, thank you all so much for the comments. good thing the bogus site's gone, though i'm not sure that he won't be back next time with another foul stunt. we'll just have to be extra-watchful. maraming salamat ulit for the support. :)

Abaniko said...

I wonder what Tony Mabesa has to say about all this.

Anonymous said...

I do not think that it is a staff or a student who wrote it. the level of details of the stories there are very intimate (like tony being always robbed by men). also, they would not really know who miss batucan is (believe me, they wont, the DUP students). also, they would not dare mention jeremy because he is such a great guy. (i might be wrong you know,,,). I would not be surprised if it turns out to be one of the actors. or one of his colleagues even....... wink wink

lateralus said...

methinks its Gibbs himself. hahaha :p

Maryanne Moll said...

Hay! Ang mga trolls nga naman ng mundo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...