Sunday, July 01, 2007

For our friends

It's Pride Month. No better time to sing this song to our chums.

(Music by Nancy Ford, original lyrics by Gretchen Cryer from the 1978 Off-Broadway musical, "I’m Getting My Act Together and Taking It on the Road." Vocals: Sean Ray, Francis Cruz, Ralph Pena, Charlie Owens)



OLD FRIEND
Every time I've lost another lover
I call up my old friend
And I say, "Let's get together
I'm under the weather
Another love has come to an end."

And he listens while I tell him my sad story
And wonders at my taste in men
And we ponder why I do it
And the pain of getting through it
And he laughs and says, "You'll do it again."

So we sit in a bar and talk 'till two
About life and love as old friends do
And tell each other what we've been through.
How love is rare, life is strange
Nothing lasts, people change.

And I ask him if his life is ever lonely
And if he ever feels despair
And he says he's learned to love it
'Cause it's really all part of it
And it helps him feel the good times
When they're there.

Yes, we sit in a bar and talk 'till two
About life and love as old friends do
And tell each other what we've been through.
How love is rare, life is strange
Nothing lasts, people change.

And we wonder if I'll live with any lovers
Or spend my life alone
And the bartender is dozin'
It's gettin' time for closin'
So we figure that I'll go it on my own.

But we'll meet the year we're sixty-two
And we'll travel the world as old friends do
And tell each other what we've been through.
How love is rare, life is strange
Nothing lasts, people change

Love is rare, life is strange
Nothing lasts, people change.






8 comments:

gibbs cadiz said...

ralph, mauna na ako dito, hope you get to read this. just wanted to say how much i love your and your friends' work on the STAGE cd series. :)

Jap said...

happy pride! =)

JV said...

That's a meaningful song! I like it!!! People do change...

Hi Gibbs, please redirect my site from The Art of Eccentricity to this site. I've deleted my old one, and this is the current one.

Karla said...

Gibbs, it's a lovely, meaningful song that applies to everyone, regardless of gender and preferences. Thanks for sharing!
I always tell myself that no matter how my relationships went, I have something to make kwento to my grandchildren. No regrets! :D
I feel bad with the Feedburner. Laging delayed ang update niya, so by the time I get notice that your blog has a new post, madami nang naka comment. Hmp.

gibbs cadiz said...

hi JAP, same to you! uwi ka na dito, hehe. :)

hi JV, okay, will do. thanks for listening to and liking the song. :)

aynaku KARLA, am sure one of these days kakantahan mo ako ng song na 'yan. i'd be the friend you'd call to sit in a bar with you and talk about another love just ended, haha. but don't worry, dearie, you'll always have my full attention. :)

vincedejesus said...

this is one of my most favorite songs from a musical.

:)

enjoy the cd!

Ralph Peña said...

oh goodness. where on earth did you dig this up? truly a blast from the past. fyi, the stage cd series was produced by joey mendoza, an ex- Rep Phils member who put up DINK records here in NYC. DINK = Double Income, No Kids.

gibbs cadiz said...

hi ralph, someone gave me a copy of the stage 1 cd, and i so loved it that i looked around for the other albums in the series. hirap hanapin kasi they were never sold here, hehe. really interesting to find out that ex-Rep member pa ang producer! wow. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...