Friday, August 03, 2007

Bloggers up close

Wednesday happens to be a heavy day at work, one where I'm never allowed, short of an emergency, to be absent. The bloggers' meet-up at Max's last August 1 fell on a Wednesday, and since I couldn't in any way pass it off as an emergency, I resigned myself to not being able to attend the event. That's why you never got to hug me, Aileen; I wasn't there. (Congrats, by the way. Number 1? Woohoo!)

Instead, after I left the office at 9 p.m., I joined a small group who had hied off to the nearby Gilligans for a few rounds of beer. Great bunch of people, and what's really cool for me--every one of them had a blog I'd be happy to recommend to anyone. These were bloggers I read, whose writing and thoughts and ideas I like, even if I might disagree with some specifics from time to time. Or, in the case of Coy, a vlogger whose videos I never miss.

Aside from Coy, there was Benj, entertainingly opinionated as always (the "friendliest blog," indeed); Faith or Tanggera, a SpEd teacher, would you believe, but who also vlogs well and is a kick-ass talker and drinker; Rick of Project Manila, a fine photographer and a good friend; Ederic of the valuable Tinig.com, one of the few who write about politics and social issues in Filipino; and Jeff, whose site I discovered only recently but of which I am now a fan.

I was more than happy to find myself swigging bottles of San Mig Light with these guys. Poyt had 8, Rick had 6, I had 3. I don't recall how the rest fared, but Benj, who had sworn off alcohol, drowned himself with glass after glass of water while needling me endlessly about being the oldest in the group ("Double Utakgago's age and you'd still be older," he said. Utakgago, 16, and in a different table downstairs, was one of the Top 10 awardees.)

I just rolled my eyes. Zen, baby, Zen. Who'd believe I'm 36, anyway?

Ooops...

Here's a pic of the group. Later on, Kevin (that's Utakgago), Shari, Dr. Tess Termulo, Billycoy and a few others I was meeting for the first time joined us for a bit, before it was time for the students to head home and prepare for class the following day. Nyahaha. Wait, did I just laugh at the kids? Zen, baby, Zen...

I also have a picture of the second group, but I'll post it next time when I am finally able to identify everyone in it (help!). Eto muna.

(Clockwise, from left): Rick, Benj, Jeff, Ederic, Coy (standing) and Faith




11 comments:

aryo said...

Why on earth did you not invite me? hu hu hu

CokskiBlue said...

ok. my chin-up powers did not work in this pic. haha! can you upload the other pics too? :)

that was quite a fun night. Congratulations Gibbs! You highly deserve being in the Top 10. 'Til the next meet-up. :)

Rick said...

my god! look at my shirt! it looks like a girly tee :P

i can't believe faith beat up. grabe. tanggera talaga.

utakGAGO said...

Haha! Who knows, baka may magsabing mas mukha akong matanda kaysa sayo...

:D Nice meeting you. Sa uulitin!

Fire Eye'd Boy said...

The post-dinner event was 10x more engaging than the actual Top 10 dinner! hahah. gawd I hope Janet won't get to read this comment. wahahah

P0ytee said...

Pati number of bottles downed alam mo! Whoa. Sayang you were across the table, we didn't get to talk that much. Hehe. 'Til next time! :)

f i l l i b u s t e r o said...

mukhang may kakilala ako sa isa sa mga nakasama mo, at malamang makikilala rin niya ako, at malamang na-out ako ng wala sa oras, ni-click ko pa yung link niya at hayun bumalandra ang aking face sa bloglog niya. na-praning ako ng slight. and now i am waitng for my phone to ring. at sa kabilang linya: "bakla ka pala fill?"
haha.

gibbs cadiz said...

@ ARYO, ako nga di nakapunta sa event e, humabol lang sa inuman portion, hehe. yun naman, mga 9pm na, bedtime mo na. :)

@ COY! haha, ang pormal ng comment, parang di tayo nag-inuman the previous night. ikaw din, congrats! 3rd place? asteeeeg. :)

@ RICK! practice tayo para mahabol natin si faith next time. :)

@ KEVIN, nice meeting you too. aargh, 'yoko tumabi sayo, i feel so old every time, haha. :)

@ JEFF, you said it, i didn't, hehe. nice meeting you finally. did i tell you am a fan of your blog? :)

@ FAITH, oo nga e. next time, and soon dapat! your vid rocks pala. i still laugh everytime i remember coy's panga, haha. :)

@ FILL! haha, know what, i had no idea whom you were talking about until that person texted me about your comment. he was surprised, all right, but he wants me to tell you--and am not making this up--that it's no biggie. so don't worry about it. he's a sweet guy (i think), and he's cool about it. :)

f i l l i b u s t e r o said...

nyahahahaha! sabe niya rin sa akin, bumista siya sa blog kowe.
sweet ba siya? hindi ko na maalala lasa niya eh... joke lang po jeff. cool to the nth power.

Prudence said...

Nice meeting you! 'Til next time ulit! :-)

febeth said...

It seems that bloggers in manila are now forming into various groups. But I still cant see any real reason except for camaraderie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...