Friday, August 24, 2007

Her moment of sanity

Statement from Malu Fernandez on the OFW Controversy

I am humbled by the vehement and heated response provoked by my article entitled 'From Boracay to Greece!' which came out in the June 2007 issue of People Asia. To say that this article was not meant to malign, hurt or express prejudice against the OFWs now sounds hollow after reading through all the blogs from Filipinos all over the world. I am deeply apologetic for my insensitivity and the offensive manner in which this article was written, I hear you all and I am properly rebuked. It was truly not my intention to malign hurt or express prejudice against OFWs.

As the recent recipient and target of death threats, hate blogs, and deeply personal insults, I now truly understand the insidiousness of discrimination and prejudice disguised as humor. Our society is bound together by human chains of kindness and decency. I have failed to observe this and I am now reaping the consequences of my actions. It is my fervent hope that the lessons that Ive learned are not lost on all those who through anonymous blogs, engaged in bigotry, discrimination, and hatred ( against overweight individuals, for example )

I take full responsibility for my actions and my friends and family have nothing to do with this. To date I have submitted my resignation letters to both the Manila Standard and People Asia, on that note may this matter be laid to rest.

The ABS-CBN report confirming her resignation here. The most nuanced piece I've read on the issue here.

P.S. Memo to society “writers:” Know the meaning of “acerbic” and “wit.” They can maim--you.


Jigs said...

The only good here is that at least she realized that what she said was totally disrespectful, especially to her kababayans who need to work thrice as hard to earn less than half of what she does. It's better this way. She learned her lesson, and hope others do too. What I'm still pondering is the fact that I haven't heard from the two publications so far. Shouldn't they have screened her article first before publishing? What are their statements regarding the matter? These are just some of the unanswered questions in my head...

beektur said...

Sino siya? I surfed the net about her and had a chance to read her previous articles at ang naisip ko: what a terrible writer! If her published pieces went through her editor and her editor did a good job, imagine what a mess the original writing must be :)

E.g: "Although he made a lot of money with his early fragrances like Opium and Kouros, the face for the new Lhomme fragrance is hot young actor Olivier Martinez." Huh?

I can see that she is a lazy writer who has no sense, sensibility, nor persuasion. Only (misplaced) pride and prejudice.

Now back you Gibbs...someday, when you retire I hope to read your memoir detailing the headaches you had trying to create sense from the garbage the filthy rich and just plain filthy writer-wannabes throw at you to edit. Or email mo na lang sa akin in private. I hunger for gossip. Deal?

Rick said...

I hate the fact that she's acting like a foreigner in her own country.

Atleast she found it in her heart to resign. But still, that isn't enough.

I wonder what her family thinks of her now.

utakGAGO said...

Now that's a humble reply from her.

Her resignation's not enough (for me). But at least, she made a good decision.

TheShrike said...

I've traveled a lot, seen a lot of places, but I still return to this country, that I really love, in spite of everything. It was actually revolting to read about her column, how she seems to abhor her own nation. I don't know if this letter of apology is really genuine, but I hope she gets something out of this fracas.

I hope that journalists who either have this sense of moral, intellectual, social or economic superiority also learn to be humbled by the responses of many hard-working Filipinos that vehemently responded to this issue.

None of us is better than anyone else.

snglguy said...

Mob mentality at work again...

Anonymous said...

many of those that rushed to the lynching are class snobs themselves. i read a blog that took bigger issue with the writer being a graduate of assumption -- implying she should know better. what does that say?

everyone should look at their own class biases before rushing to declare themselves party to the aggrieved. if that many people had true sympathies for the less fortunate, we'd be a much better country.

the writer's biggest sin is that she wasn't funny enough.

imroanne said...

ouch, a single article could cost you a job. however, that article depends how "acerbic" it is, if it tastes and feels like caustic vinegar.

Estupidong Neil said...

Gone is the nouveau riche bigot. At least she realizes her obvious tactless acerbity is demeaning to her co-Austronesians. I mean, co-Filipinos. (OMG, did she care about such terms? I thought she detest to be like one. Hahahaha!)

Kidding, gibbs. Now, my dad has more reason not to complain about her anymore.

Estupidong Neil said...

the writer's biggest sin is that she wasn't funny enough.


nice one, whoever you are ^_^

Anonymous said...

In addition to the Sassy Lawyer post, this one is also a good read:

gibbs cadiz said...

JIGS, people asia gave out a statement courtesy of its publisher, babe romualdez, in a recent issue of the philippine star. ang manila standard today na lang ang quiet pa din. :)

aynaku, BEEKTUR, ngayon na, haha! kung alam mo lang ang paghihirap ko... :)

RICK, what i find funny is, she said in her second piece that her friends found her article funny. yet none of her friends, not a single one, came out publicly to defend her. haha, her pseudo-rich friends and kin just knew this was an unwinnable situation. :)

KEVIN/UTAKGAGO, thanks for your comment. :)

THESHRIKE, i do hope she learns her lesson--not only about sensitivity to people of honest toil, but also about good writing. hahaha. :)

SNGLGUY, i suppose you're referring to the horde who called her names? :)

ANONYMOUS, her biggest sin for me was not that she wasn't funny enough, but that she was a plain bad writer. :)

IMROANNE, ah, what words can do. :)

ESTUPIDONG NEIL, so your father's an ofw too, huh? same here. :)

thanks for the link, ANONYMOUS. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web