Thursday, November 20, 2008

Golden Girl

Kate Winslet posing for the December 2008 issue of Vanity Fair. For this shoot in Los Angeles, Winslet was channeling the [Catherine] Deneuve character from “Belle de Jour,” about a housewife moonlighting as a daytime prostitute. Luis Buñuel directed the 1967 film. (Photograph by Steven Meisel; styled by Jessica Diehl.)

On five Oscar nominations but no hardware yet: “Do I want it? You bet your fucking ass I do! I think that people assume that I don’t care or don’t want it or don’t need it or something. It’s hard to be there five times, and I’m only human, you know? But I don’t go home and cry, because we’re all grown-ups here.”

On acting as a leap of faith: “I know that in order to do my job as truthfully as I can—because to me that’s everything—you really have to not give a fuck [about what people think]. You have to be prepared to look stupid and you have to be prepared to walk around naked in front of a crew of people you’ve never met before and may never see again. And it is scary.”

“Isn’t She Deneuvely?,” Krista Smith's profile of the star, here.

PLUS: More Vanity Fair eye candy--outtakes of the Twilight photo shoot (plus Q&As, video and a James Wolcott piece on the latest literary phenomenon), and the Year in Pictures, part 1. Also, the trailer below for Revolutionary Road, the upcoming Sam Mendes movie that reunites Kate Winslet and Leonardio Di Caprio.


Anonymous said...

The other features (Seth Mnookin on the NYT's Baghdad Bureau and another piece about Bloomberg News, an article by William Langewiesche) in this VF issue are also noteworthy.

TheBachelorGirl said...

Ahh... So that's why... She looks absolutely fabulous! That's why some tabloids are saying her images are airbrushed, which I don't believe Kate Winslet will allow.

gibbs cadiz said...

thanks, ANONYMOUS. :)

hi LORNA, yep, she's never been apologetic about her extra pounds. i don't think she'd countenance any Photoshopping. :)

Swipe said...

That's one steaming picture of Kate. Absolutely love her in extras where she lampoons her inability to win the an Oscar.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web