Friday, March 13, 2009

Calling Addison DeWitt

“By the time I was led to the set for my big scene, I had reached a pitch of anxiety that I had never experienced, and hope never to again. Rather than appear before the cameras, I would have gladly faced a firing squad. Or worse, a ravening mob made up of every actor, author or director I had ever panned... It’s not that I couldn’t infuse the line with enough emotive substance to please a Stanislavski. No, I’m afraid the words I had been relentlessly drilling for the past 24 hours--to the cat, to the refrigerator, to empty elevators and to the brisk air of Madison Square Park--wouldn’t come at all.”

-- NYTimes theater critic Charles Isherwood makes a cameo appearance in Gossip Girl, and survives to tell the tale.

P.S. Who's Addison DeWitt? Here, here and here.

3 comments:

beektur said...

(Don't you think Stephen Fry --in all his movies -- is channeling George Sanders by way of Addison Dewitt?)

I always thought you are Addison DeWitt, despite (or inspite?) of your Catholic seminary training. Should we expect you to have a cameo in Betty La Fea, soon? Calling ABS-CBN casting director!

gibbs cadiz said...

yeah, except when fry was doing a much better wit--wilde himself, in the tv movie of the same name. :)

me, dewitt? ambait ko nga e, wahaha! :) i made a tv appearance once, in a talk show in ch. 2. that would be the first and last. i couldn't bear to look at myself during the rerun, haha. :)

ExPatrius said...

Like Eve, I didn't think Mr. Isherwood was tall enough for that gesture, either. Those who can, do...Those who can't become critics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...