Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Okay, fine, I get it.

Signs that midlife is almost here:

1. Our company eye doctor prescribes reading glasses for me. On top of my contact lenses. He says reading glasses are usually needed by people aged 40 and up. I'm ahead by a year. Whenever you see me now perching spectacles on top of my nose when scanning the resto menu or reading the show program before a play--yes, that's not only my chronic bad eyesight on display, but also the onset of senior moments. I really should begin saving up for Lasik.

2. Young guy sits beside me on the front seat of a van heading to the airport. Cute, seems friendly, game for some conversation. The ride's an hour and a half, so we cover a lot of ground, mostly about his schooling and OFW family. We trade digits afterwards. Couple of days of small talk via text follows. Then he asks: Kuya, ilang taon ka nga pala? (Guy's 18, or so he says). 39, I text back. Hehehe, he replies, tatay ko 37 pa lang. OMG.

3. I ask the lone staff at the music store: Meron ba kayo ng CD ni Raymond Lauchengco? (Backgrounder: His recent album of '80s hits such as Together in Electric Dreams and You To Me Are Everything improbably reworked big-band style is worth a listen. I lost my copy somewhere, so here I am looking for a replacement, with Limewire no help.) The teen looks at me blankly and says, Sino yun, yung bokalista ng Sandwich? Whaa--

On that note: Merry Christmas again, folks. I'm really gone this time, poof, until the new year. Be safe.

11 comments:

joseph/ian said...

"Tatay ko 37 pa lang"
Hahaha! Panalo!

Merry Christmas!

K said...

Ang aga nagsimula ni tatay! Mwahahaha.

You can't stop aging, sabi nga nila, but you can do so gracefully. And I know you're doing that. Char!

Miss you, Gibbs! Merry Christmas!

waltzang said...

i will lend you the video of my lasik procedure!

Anonymous said...

hahaha. very funny. i can relate. Merry Christmas!

Yj said...

ahahahahaha ibang klase ka Gibbs....

at least we're aging with disgrace... ay grace pala hehehehehe


Merry Christmas...

feistyphi said...

"Kuya, ilang taon ka nga pala? (Guy's 18, or so he says). 39, I text back. Hehehe, he replies, tatay ko 37 pa lang."----- Classic!!!!

Merry Christmas Sir! =)

drei said...

wag kang mag alala gibbs kilala ko si raymund lauchengco, i even watched his concert as a kid haha! :)

happy holidays from morocco!!

Anonymous said...

Young guy sits beside me on the front seat of a van heading to the airport. Cute, seems friendly, game for some conversation. The ride's an hour and a half, so we cover a lot of ground, mostly about his schooling and OFW family. We trade digits afterwards. Couple of days of small talk via text follows. Then he asks: Kuya, ilang taon ka nga pala? (Guy's 18, or so he says). 39, I text back. Hehehe, he replies, tatay ko 37 pa lang. OMG. --> THERE ARE TWO THINGS DISTURBING ABOUT THIS STORY. FIRST, HINDI NA NAMUMUPO ANG MGA BATA. SECOND, AGING GAYS REALLY GO FOR YOUNGER GUYS! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

George said...

No. 2 made my day, hahaha. ^^
Happy New Year!

watson said...

Hi Gibbs. Sooo good to bloghop again. Happy New Year!

Nimrod said...

@george: Same here. So funny! Have a safe new year everyone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...