9 Works Theatrical is holding auditions for its upcoming production of the Broadway musical "The Wedding Singer," based on the 1988 movie starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.
The auditions are on Friday and Saturday, March 19-20, at 15 Garcia Villa Street, San Lorenzo Village, Makati City (The Philippine Opera Company headquarters).
Actors and singers are needed to fill principal and supporting roles:
(1) Robbie Hart (rock tenor, can play guitar, 25-35 years old) A musician and lead singer for a trio that plays at weddings; very charismatic yet insecure with "puppy dog" appeal;
(2) Julia Sullivan (soprano, 25-35 years old) Robbie's love interest, a sweet and understanding yet naive waitress for a catering firm, comedic ingénue;
(3) Glen Guglia (baritone, 30-45 years old) A calculating, money-loving Wall Street type;
(4) Holly (pop belter, 20-35 years old) Julia's bubbly, uninhibited and lovable cousin;
(5) George (baritone-tenor, strong falsetto, comic role, can rap, 20-35 years old) Robbie's flamboyantly gay, eccentric friend and fellow band member; and
(6) Rosie (soprano, comic role, can rap, 50+ years old) Robbie's feisty grandmother.
A total of 16 chorus members will be cast.
Impersonators of Ronald Reagan, Nancy Reagan, Mr. T., Tina Turner, Billy Idol, Cyndi Lauper and Imelda Marcos are also needed.
"The Wedding Singer," the musical comedy version of the hit Hollywood film, has music by Matthew Sklar, lyrics by Chad Beguelin and book by Beguelin and Tim Herlihy, who also wrote the movie's screenplay. Their collaboration earned Tony Award nominations in 2006.
"The Wedding Singer" opened on Broadway at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre on April 27, 2006. It ran for 284 performances with Tony Award nominee and American lead guitarist Stephen Lynch as Robbie. The musical takes the audience back to the era of big hair and classic '80s grooves.
Auditionees to "The Wedding Singer" are requested to sing one or two pop/rock songs from the '80s. Bring bio data and recent photographs. Be prepared to dance and sing selections from the musical during callbacks.
For further audition inquiries, contact JonJon Martin at 5575860 or 0916-2644434. Email email@example.com or visit www.9workstheatrical.com.