Tuesday, April 13, 2010

History lesson

True story--overheard while I was queuing for a cab at Robinsons Midtown. The couple behind me: a middle-aged Filipina in tube top, shorts and Havaianas, and her foreign husband (I assume)--dusky, beefy, looks Hawaiian, Maori or Polynesian, but with an American accent.

Guy: So honey, what do those eight rays of the sun in your flag mean? Do they represent the regions of the Philippines?

Pinay: Ah, yes honey, the region of Philippines, like I'm from Leyte, it's Region 8...

Guy: Wait wait wait, but isn't there more than eight regions? I thought there are more.

Pinay: Uh, yes... Ay, I dunno, honey. (Slurps loudly on her drink)

Guy: (Chuckling) Hey, but you're Filipina, you should know these things!

Pinay: (Whacks the guy on the arm) Honey, you ha! Of course I know.

Guy: Okay, so what are they for, really? Districts?

Pinay: Ah eh, yeah, but districts are like... Manela is a district, you know, Malate also. This is Malate area...

At which point I fled into my cab.

7 comments:

beektur said...

hawaiian/polynesian/maori? mala-tom babauta ba? kung andoon ako, natsinelas ko ang babaing na itu!

Anonymous said...

It is sad. Unfortunately our younger ones aren't any better.

the jester-in-exile said...

this is worse than sad.

rudeboy said...

Hubby sounds like a Chamorro.

And while wifey's lack of knowledge about her country's symbols is lamentable, pop quiz: without doing any online research, what DO those eight rays stand for?

My first guess - if memory serves - is that they represent the first 8 provinces that rose up against Spain.

Guyrony said...

The Horror!

The Horror!

That Pinay should be slain by a Spaniard.

Von_Draye said...

masarap itsinelas sa kanya ang havaianas na suot nya..

damn....

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rudeboy, actually; I have to admit, it took me a while to remember what the eight rays meant. What I find more lamentable: why didn't she just say she didn't know what the rays meant? Admitting ignorance doesn't change the fact that you're ignorant, but at least you wouldn't look stupid trying to hide it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...