Monday, June 07, 2010

Formspringing famous writers

Nadine Gordimer, in answer to “You were awarded the Nobel prize in literature by the king of Sweden. Do you look back on that as the best moment in your life?”

Best moment? Reinhold Cassirer and I had just married, and were at a party in London. He had gone to find a friend in an adjoining room. I found myself standing beside a woman I didn't know, both of us amiably drinks in hand. He appeared in the doorway. She turned aside to me and exclaimed excitedly: “Who's that divine man?” I said: “My husband.”

Jeanette Winterson on “Why do you think what you do matters?”

Art and potatoes are pretty similar. Everyone needs slow-release energy and something to stabilise the gut. Art does that--it isn't fast food, but it isn't fancy food either. It's the solid stuff of life. I once had lunch at Heston Blumenthall's Fat Duck at Bray. I was very depressed because I am not a chocolate risotto kind of person. That night I dug up new potatoes from my garden with my hands, steamed them, covered them in olive oil and mint and chives, and ate nothing else. Then I felt better. The same thing happens to me with a book or a painting. It reminds me that life is good and solid, not about money and not about fad.

More Questions that authors are never asked here. Take your pick: William Boyd, Ian Rankin, Chang Rae-Lee, Rose Tremain, Margaret Atwood...

3 comments:

beektur said...

Wow. Jeanette Winterson just earned two sacks of my respect. I boil potatoes with slices of onion, drain water, drizzle them in olive oil and sprinkle pimienton. Yum. I better start reading Winterson (Cynthia raved about her sometime ago but that was the same time Cynthia like Jessica Z's writing so I never really took her (Cynthia's) comment seriously. :)

didinskee said...

I spent an hour on this, and regret not recognizing each writer by heart.

Jasper said...

Thanks for sharing, Gibbs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...