Monday, March 21, 2011

At a coffeeshop, unexpected beauty

So we were at Starbucks in The Columns, Makati, decompressing after having virtually gone through the wringer--i.e., a date with Atlantis Productions' heart-wrenching Next to Normal in the afternoon (which is to say you have to see it!), and a hospital visit to a sick friend afterwards. It had been a long day, and we were drained.

I was just out of the restroom and going up to our second-floor table when I heard beautiful a capella singing. Who's that on the radio, I thought. Then I realized it was live music--the group of men and women around a table beside ours were the ones singing! They would do that for at least twice more during the evening--the musical moments always bringing a lull to our conversation as we tuned in to the soothing sounds instead.

The group, I found out, were members of a choral ensemble called A Cappella Manila. They were out relaxing, but singing apparently remained their main bonding ingredient and source of collective pleasure. And so they sang--and never had a half-empty coffeeshop felt cozier, more intimate. There was no way I'd leave without catching the group on video--along with McVie's moonwalking across the screen as the choir sang Man in the Mirror. Thank you, A Capella Manila, for the unexpected dose of beautiful music on a weary Saturday evening.



[Video taken with an HTC Desire HD--I was breaking it in and didn't know any better yet, so you could hear me ask in the first few seconds why the video looked blurry. A touch of the finger on the screen, and voila! Hi-def na!]

10 comments:

Aleph's id said...

ang kulit ni McVie sa dulo, ahaha. may hawak pang tubig on both hands talaga.

Anonymous said...

ei gibbs! dumaan lang. ~ k

Oscar Pantaleon said...

Can I post this link on the Facebook wall of the Philippine Choral Directors Association?

Eben said...

yung previous conductor namin sa choir dito sa SG, galing din sa A Capella Manila. Hilig talaga nila ang mag-jamming. :)

gibbs cadiz said...

sure, oscar! :)

Oscar Pantaleon said...

Thanks, Gibbs!

I posted it here: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1259284994

dementedlittleboy said...

This is one of the moments when I would kill myself if they stop singing that song while I'm sipping my coffee. Ganda grabe! Ginagawa po ba nila ito parati Sir Gibbs?

gibbs cadiz said...

DEMENTEDLITTLEBOY, am not sure if they do this all the time at coffeeshops--but, if only for the joy they bring to those who get to hear them jam, i sure hope so! :)

Blik said...

thanks Gibbs

Blik said...

si Rex nga pala ito. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search this blog or the Web

Loading...